Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What's wrong with butter?

So I was reading an article on CNN about Southern food. Here's the link:
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/01/18/hugh-acheson-southern-food-beyond-the-butter/?hpt=hp_bn8

It's an interesting article, but the last quote by Ms. Paula Deen is what shocked me.
“What’s wrong with just butter and salt in grits?”

While I agree, there is nothing wrong with salt and butter in grits the question that was posed prior to her saying that is, “Do you think that Southern food has had a start and a finish or do you think it’s something that continues to evolve?”. I'm a little disappointed. Southern food has a deep, rich tradition and it's not all butter, fat, or frying things.
To me her non-answer, says it all. She is an ambassador for her community, people know her and recognize her. They look to her as a rolemodel. And the best you can come up with is what's wrong with butter and salt? Honestly. If your type 2 diabetes hasn't already answered that let me pose this from one of my favorite books to read (Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer), "Think before you eat, people: Food should be the life of you, not the death of you." Thanks Agnes you said it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment