Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chili-Mac - Allrecipes.com

I love chili-mac. What's sad is I haven't eaten it in years. Truthfully I forgot all about this tasty, easy dish. I changed this recipe a bit, see my notes at the bottom. The 8 yr old ate this and declared it delicious. This was followed by a second helping....Victory!

Grammas Old Fashioned Chili Mac
Feeds 8 or 6 if Jeff is eating with you

1 C elbow macaroni
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 C celery, chopped
1/2 large green bell pepper
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained
2 (10.75 oz) cans condensed tomato soup
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1/8 C brown sugar
chili powder and cayenne to taste
salt and pepper

Bring pot of lightly salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
In a small saucepan, simmer celery and green pepper with water until tender, drain. Place ground beef in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly brown. Add onion, and cook until tender and translucent. Drain excess fat. Add celery and green pepper. Stir in kidney beans, tomato soup, diced tomatoes, and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper, stir in macaroni.

My notes:
I followed a couple of the commenters suggestions and sauted veggies in my 12 in cast iron skillet and made it a one pan dish. I love one pan dishes. It saves me time and less dish washing which is always a plus in my book. For the life of my I don't know why you would want to cook the celery and bell pepper in water. You're just cooking away the flavor! I sauted onion, bell pepper, and celery all together in the skillet, then added the beef and browned. Then stirred in the kidney beans, soup, diced tomatoes, and sugar. I let that simmer for a few minutes then added the macaroni. I like to have a little cheddar cheese on top with mine.
I think next time I will probably add some finely diced carrots to the mix as well just to get a little more veggies in the mix.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grammas-old-fashioned-chili-mac/detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment