Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Dad is great! Give us the chocolate cake.....

Feeling the need for something chocolate-y and delicious I busted out the good old BHG cookbook.
I've written a previous ode to my BHG cookbook, and the recipe for chocolate cake. So I don't feel too pressed to re-write my previous sentiments.
I made this cake in 2 - 9 in round pans and frosted it with the cream cheese frosting I found in BHG Cookbook. Here are the recipes:

Chocolate Cake
3/4 C butter, softened
3 eggs
2 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t baking soda
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 C sugar
2 t vanilla
1 1/2 C milk
1. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease bottoms of two 8X8X2-inch or 9X1 1/2-inch cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper. Or, grease one 13X9X2-inch baking pan. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, abotu 1/4 C at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined (3-4 minutes). Scrape sides of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla.
3. Alternately add flour mixiture and milk to the butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan(s).
4. Bake in a 350 oven for 35-40 minutes for 8-inch pans and 13X9X2 pan, 20-35 minutes for 9-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off waxed paper. Cool thoroughly on racks or place 13X9X2-inc cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with desired frosting - or don't if you're like me.

My notes:
I use crisco and cocoa powder to grease my pans.
If you have a scale I generally fill my 9in pans to 1 lb and 7oz. That is including the weight of the aluminum pans. That is about 1/2 the batter, then you have nice even layers.

P.S. Here's a little giggle for you. Click me.

No comments:

Post a Comment