Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tater tot Casserole

Good morning all,
I made tater tot casserole the other day and as usual it is a big hit. It's so easy it's sinful. I found the recipe in one of my Hannah Swensen books. I'm not sure which one (possibly Apple Turnover) as Joanne Fluke has written several books and they all have really good recipes in them. I believe she actually calls this Too Easy Hot Dish.
Heh, those silly northerners.

Tater tot casserole
1-1 1/2 lb ground meat
2 cans cream of soup
1lb package of frozen tater tots
1 C shredded cheese

Brown the meat, drain fat if desired. Combine with cream of soups. Top with tater tots and then cheese. Bake at 350 until hot, bubbly, and cheese is all nice and melty.

My notes
This freezes very well! The ground meat can really be anything but I usually have ground beef around so that's generally what I use. The cream of soups can be any of them, cream of mushroom, chicken, celery, etc. I buy the low sodium variety as this can be a tad salty otherwise. I add about 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables to the mix just to give it a little more healthy of a spin. In the book Hannah says don't put more than a cup of cheese on top, otherwise it will insultate the tots and they won't crisp up..... and really who wants mushy tots?

No comments:

Post a Comment