Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup

Today's recipe is courtesy of Lola Cooks. I had 3 heads of broccoli in my fridge that I needed to use and I remembered I had saved this recipe to try.
Yum broccoli pre-roast


Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
The ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • ½ medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 2 heads broccoli with stems / 450g
  • ½ head of cauliflower / 450g
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
  • 3 cloves garlic, cut in half
  • 2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1  cup non-fat greek yogurt
The method:
  1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
  2. Cut broccoli and cauliflower into similarly sized pieces.
  3. Place vegetables and spices in a large mixing bowl.
  4. Drizzle oil over the vegetables and toss to coat completely.
  5. Pour vegetables on a shallow baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes until somewhat soft and browned.
  6. Allow vegetables to cool slightly.  Remove some or all of the garlic.
  7. Place half of the warm vegetables in a blender with 1 cup of stock to puree.  Pour the puree into a pot.  Repeat with the other half of the vegetables.
  8. Add the remaining stock and water to the pot.
  9. Bring soup to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  10. If firm pieces of vegetables remain, process the soup with a immersion blender.
  11. Stir in the greek yogurt.
  12. Serve warm.
My notes:
I decided to roast the onions along with the broccoli and the cauliflower, I wanted a more mellow tone to the soup. I roughly chopped up the (whole) onion tossed it in a little bit of vegetable oil and added to the cauliflower, garlic, and broccoli about 1/2 way thru the roasting. I didn't want to roast the onion for the whole 40 minutes, I was afraid it would get too charred. I used 5 C of broth instead of 4C broth and 1C water as I had a bunch of homemade broth from the other day.
I also pureed all of the vegetables to make a nice thick soup. My immersion blender did a great job but I did find a rogue hunk of cauliflower floating around. Whoops.
I also put my new nutmeg grinder (thanks Erin!) to the test and added a little freshly ground nutmeg to the party. I think next time I will double the garlic, at least for the roasting if not for the soup. To finish the soup I also added 2 T of butter (of course) along with the greek yogurt. We haven't had this for dinner yet, so I have no idea if this will be kid-approved or not. But I will update later this week when we do eat it.


No comments:

Post a Comment