Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chicken Soup

I went through a cooking frenzy last Sunday. I made BBQ pork in the crock pot, carrot bread, chicken soup with vegetables, and banana pudding.

I knew I wanted to make a chicken soup because I had made chicken stock earlier in the week and had a whole chicken that I needed to use. This soup was not only kid-approved but raved about. Strange since it had onions, tomatoes, and spinach in it.  All of which are considered deadly.

Chicken Soup

4 garlic cloves
1 medium onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
4C chicken stock
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
2C fresh spinach, julienned

1 14oz can of cannelini beans, drained
2 cups cooked chicken
1/2 - 1 tsp thyme
1/2 - 1 tsp oregano
salt
pepper

Cook onion, garlic, carrots, and celery over medium-low heat. Sweat the vegetables, add oregano and thyme; cook until they are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the can of tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then drop down to a simmer. Add the beans and chicken; let simmer for a while. Basically until beans and chicken are heated through and you are ready to eat it. Before serving put the spinach in the soup and allow it to wilt a little.

My notes
This is my own recipe and as usual I butt-numbered this but at least I measured how much chicken stock I used. Like I said before, the kid raved about this soup which was really surprising but I'm not going to complain....
Even Jeff liked it and he says he doesn't really like spinach which I know is a mental thing b/c I put spinach in anything I can sneak it into. My Mom said that she and my Dad enjoyed it and that it was really filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment