Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Balsamic Chicken Pasta Salad

I had some leftover chicken from my stock making the other day. I didn't feel like turning on the oven for a casserole and pasta salad was sounding good. A few key strokes later I stumbled across this recipe and I actually happened to have all the ingredients except Gorgonzola which is ok b/c Jeff doesn't like Gorgonzola.

Balsamic Chicken Pasta Salad
From TasteofHome


Ingredients
3 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red onion
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water; transfer to a large bowl. Add the chicken, tomatoes, onion, bacon and Gorgonzola cheese.
In a small bowl, whisk the oil, basil, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.

Nutritional Facts 1-1/3 cups equals 408 calories, 20 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 323 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.

My Notes:
As I said before I didn't have any Gorgonzola, which is ok b/c Jeff doesn't like it. As I recall Gorgonzola is like blue cheese (I think) and I like blue cheese so I'm pretty sure I like Gorgonzola. Funny side note, anytime I hear Gorgonzola I think of the TV show Bones when they were trying to figure out the who Gormagon mystery and Booth kept calling him Gorgonzola and other silly names... makes me laugh to myself. Anywho, I added more bacon because I thought it could use a little more crunchy goodness and really who doesn't like bacon? I made 6 slices, the cat stole 2 (I'm not kidding) and I ate one. So then I had to cook more, which I then ate a bite or two off of each of those 3 slices. So I really couldn't tell you how much bacon when into the salad. Oh well.
The kid declared this 'delish' which I've never her heard her say before but she wrote it in a note to me. So I guess that's good. Of course there is no telling how much was actually consumed since I wasn't there. She could just be trying to toot my horn.

No comments:

Post a Comment