Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Apple Bundt Cake

This is one of my favorite cake recipes to make. I usually make it in the fall but Jeff had to take lunch to work for a meeting and requested this cake for the dessert. I found the recipe on a Good Eats discussion board a long time ago. I went back to look for it and could not find it. I'm glad I'm finally putting this recipe online because I only have one printed copy and I always have a small heart attack when I can't find it.

Apple Bundt Cake
Bon Appetit
December 1999
Amanda Denton, Barre VT

4 medium Golden Delicious applices (about 1 1/2lbs), peeled, cored, and into 1/3 in pieces
5T plus 2 1/2 C sugar
2t ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
1C vegetable oil
1/4 orange juice
1T grated orange peel
1t vanilla extract
3C all purpose flour
3 1/2t baking powder
1/2t salt
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Oil and flour a 12C bundt cake pan.  Mix apple pieces, 5T sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl.  Combine 2 1/2C sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, orange juce, orange peel, and vanilla in a large bowl; whisk to blend.  Stir flour, baking powder, and salt into egg mixture.  Spoon 1 1/2C of batter into prepared cake pan.  Top with half of apple mixture. Cover with another 1 1/2C batter. Top with remaining apples, then batter.

Bake cake until top is brown and tester inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 1 hour 30 minutes.  Cool cake in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen.  Turn cake out onto rack.  Cool at least 45 minutes.  Dust with powdered sugar. Serve lightly warm or at room temperature.

My notes
I generally use an assortment of apples. My favorite cinnamon comes from Penzeys Spices. It is their own special blend, and it's awesome. You can order from them online, honestly you can't go wrong with anything they sell. This store is dangerous! I end up spending a lot of money whenever I go but it is well worth it.

Now, I know I've said it before and I'm going to say it again..... I think it's important to own up to kitchen failures along with the successes. I had a bit of a catastrophe when making this cake. I misread the ingredients and put in 3 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder instead of 3 1/2 teaspoons. This was the result:

Isn't that fun? Hot, smoky, drippy mess. At least I had my pizza stone on the bottom rack so most of the batter dripped onto that. The cake tasted alright, but it sure didn't look pretty. So we kept the ugly cake and Jeff made rice krispy treats instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment