Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pulled pork with roasted potatoes and broccoli

For Sunday dinner I decided to make pulled pork and roasted potatoes.  I use my Mom's pulled pork recipe (she calls it Debate BBQ), I'm not sure where she got it but it's my favorite. I know the recipe says boneless pork loin but I decided to try a bone in pork roast (I think it was pork butt). My Uncle was throwing a surprise birthday party for my Aunt's the following weekend and I wanted to make sure that the bone in meat would work because that's what I had on hand. I seared the meat before putting in the crock-pot and I personally think the meat had more flavor.
Before cooking


Debate BBQ (Pulled Pork)
 
1 3lbs. boneless pork loin
1 C water
1 (18 oz) bottle barbecue sauce
¼ C firmly packed brown sugar
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1-2 T hot sauce (Tabasco)
1 t salt
1 t pepper

Place roast in a 4 quart crock pot.  Cook on high for 7 hours or until meat is tender.  Stir with a fork, shredding meat. Add barbecue sauce and next 5 ingredients, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 1 hour.
This is Jeff's plate


My notes
I use Stubbs Original BBQ sauce, Mom uses KC Masterpiece. I think Stubbs has a little more tartness to it compared to KC Masterpiece. I also don't measure the BBQ sauce, brown sugar or the Tabasco. I go by taste now because sometimes 18oz is too much BBQsauce and it's soupy. Sometimes 1/4C of brown sugar makes it too sweet. Just go by your taste buds.... they'll thank you. I also (as you can see) put onions in there, not to mention a couple cloves of crushed garlic.


No comments:

Post a Comment