Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

Conversation with Jeff last night in the kitchen:
Jeff: You've ruined me.
Me: What?!?
Jeff: I am eyeballing 2 3/4C of powdered sugar for the icing to these cupcakes.
Me: Oh.
Jeff: <shaking the bag of sugar>
Me: I wouldn't call that 'ruining you'.
Jeff: .....
Me: I call that precision guesstimation
Jeff:<sighs and dumps the 'eyeballed' sugar in the icing>

On to the recipe! Last week we had tacos for dinner, and had quite a bit of leftover meat. I happed to find this recipe on Pinterest and decided to try it out it's from Six Sisters' Stuff. This was devoured by the kid. I WAS going to take a picture of it but when I got home however 3/4 of it was gone and wouldn't have made a very pretty picture.

*Disclaimer - by the time I was done with it you might as well toss the recipe. I went totally off the reservation with this one.

Cheesy Enchilada Casserole (or Taco Casserole if you are like me and forget the name)
(Recipe from Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake)

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 large onion, chopped or season with Onion powder or minced onion
2 1/2 cups salsa
1 can (15 ounces) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
1 small can of drained corn, or about 1 1/4 cups of frozen corn (optional)
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream *Note: I used 1/2 cup
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, sour cream, corn (optional), taco seasoning and cumin.
Spoon a generous layer of meat mixture on bottom of 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Place a flour or corn tortilla on top of meat mixture. Layer with half of the meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat as many layers as you like.
The last & final layer should be a healthy dose of grated cheese.
Cover with foil that has been sprayed with pam or other and bake at 400° for 25 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings


My notes:
I used all the leftover taco meat we had from dinner the night before, it was nearly a pound and already seasoned with taco seasoning. I kept the onion, salsa (2 diff kinds), beans (black), dressing, tortillas, sour cream, and cheese. I forgot the cumin but will add next time I make it. I added spanish rice that was also left over from dinner. I didn't measure anything, so I have no idea how much dressing or salsa I actually put in there, and I'm not sure the italian dressing made much of a difference.


Everyone liked this... except my stomach. I mean I liked eating it, but it gave me indigestion. Go figure. I think next time I make this I will add some tortilla chips to the top just to give it a little crunch. Black olives might be good in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment