Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Vegetable Lover's Chicken Soup

I decided it would be easier for archiving if I put each recipe in a separate post. So here is recipe number 2 from me. Initially this recipe was written for 2 services. I changed it to serve 4.









Vegetable Lover's Chicken Soup
From EatingWell: December 2006

4 servings (2C each) | Active time: 35 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes

Ingredients
1 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb chicken tenders
1 t Italian seasoning blend
1/4 t salt
1/4 dry white wine
2 small zucchini, sliced
2 shallots, diced
2 medium carrots, sliced
4 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 cans chicken broth
1/2 C orzo
3 C packed baby spinach

Preparation
Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add zucchini, shallot, carrot, Italian seasoning and salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly softened, 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, wine, and orzo (or other tiny pasta); increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 8 minutes, or according to package directions.  Stir in spinach, the cooked chicken and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring, until the chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes.

Nutrition per serving:
261 calories; 8 g fat; 1 g sat fat; 5 g mono; 72 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbs; 31 g protein; 2 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 483 mg potassium.

Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days of freeze up to 3 months.



My notes!
I think this would be good with mushrooms added.  I also added carrots to this recipe. I happen to love spinach so I'm pretty sure I put more than 3C but I can't be sure because I didn't measure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment