Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Curried Corn Bisque

Curried Corn Bisque
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/curried_corn_bisque.html
8 servings (1C) | Active time 25 minutes | Total time 25 minutes

Ingredients
2 t canola oil
1 C fresh or frozen chopped onions
1 T curry powder
1/2 t hot sauce, or to taste
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 16 oz packages from corn
2 C chicken broth
2 C water
1 C "lite" coconut milk

Preparation
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add curry powder, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to coat the onions.  Stir in corn, broth, and water. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.  Remove from the heat and puree in a blender or food processor (in batches if necessary) into a homogeneous mixture that still has some texture.  Pour the soup into a clean pot, add coconut milk and heat through.  Serve hot or cold.  Variation - make Curried Sweet Pea Bisque by substituting frozen peas for the corn.

Nutrition
138 calories; 4g fat; 2g sat; 1 g mono; 1 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbs; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 121 mg sodium; 291 potassium

Tips & Notes
Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or free for up to 2 months.

My notes
We both really liked this. I think my immersion blender would have done a better job of puree-ing the soup than my blender but since it's broken we make do. I was kind of concerned about the amount of spices but it was a nice balance, not too hot but just a little bit of bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment