Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Cheesy Tuna Mornay

In a desperate attempt to find dinner on Monday I looked in the pantry found tuna and started googling. I found this recipe, it was easy enough and quick. Bingo.

Cheesy Tuna Mornay
From Allrecipes.com


Ingredients
1/2 cup uncooked rotini pasta
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup frozen green peas
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 (7 ounce) cans tuna, drained
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually mix in milk so that no lumps form. Stir constantly until the mixture boils, then mix in half of the cheese. Add the peas, corn and macaroni. Drain the tuna, leaving a small amount of liquid to keep it moist. Flake with a fork and stir into the cheese mixture. Transfer to a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until sauce is bubbly and cheese is browned. 

My Notes
What is a Mornay you ask? Beats the hell out of me. I looked it up on wikipedia, here's what the know it all says:
A Mornay sauce is a Béchamel sauce with shredded or grated cheese added. Usually, it consists of half Gruyère and half Parmesan cheese, though some variations use different combinations of Gruyère, Emmental cheese, or white Cheddar.[1]

1.^ McGee, Harold (2004). On Food and Cooking; The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. New York, NY, USA: Scribner. pp. 65–66 and 587. ISBN 0-684-80001-2. 

So there you go, it's a cheese sauce. I think I did actually know that, or at least have read the word before. I'd be surprised if it wasn't in my Julia Child cookbook (which by the way is a great cookbook I highly recommend it). 

I didn't use bread crumbs, I didn't feel like messing with them. I also just used about 2C of frozen mixed vegetables rather than just corn and peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment