Why another cooking blog?

I decided to create this blog as a way for family and friends to see what I'm cooking and to share interesting food related tidbits I come across.
I'm frequently asked for recipes so I thought this would be a good place to start collecting the old, new, and funky recipes that I have.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Green smoothies

I've recently fallen into the green smoothie craze.  I bought a book on sale for something like $1.99 on Amazon called Smoothie Power!. I've been trying recipes out of this book, and I've really enjoyed it! Now I'm not saying I buy all the author's claims about what drinking green smoothies will do for you but I do firmly believe that no one (yes no one!) gets enough greens in their diet. At least now I'm getting roughly 2-3C a day when I drink a smoothie. I have noticed that I don't eat as much at the meal following a smoothie and I have lost a little weight as well. So there's that little benefit. My current favorite smoothie to make is this one, Blue Bliss.

Blue Bliss
from Smoothie Power!

1C frozen blueberries
2 pears
2C spinach, firmly packed
2 1/2C water

Blend until smooth.


My notes:
This makes roughly 1 quart of smoothie. I generally drink it around midday or so. If it isn't sweet enough you could replace some of the water with orange juice or just add a tablespoon or so (to taste) of your favorite sweetner - agave syrup anyone? Also, you don't have to have frozen blueberries, I use fresh and just pour the smoothie over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment